Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Super Size Me

If anyone knows me at all, they know I love to eat, love to cook, and I love to learn about eating and cooking and food. So last night, I finally sat down to watch Super Size Me, the documentary by Morgan Spurlock. While filming this movie, he eats McDonald's three times a day for 30 days.

My overall review: GREAT movie. I would highly recommend watching it. I didn't really know what to expect. Honestly, I was expecting more propaganda, a la Fast Food Nation, (which is an interesting read itself, but much more dramatic). I was impressed by the scope of health issues that the movie covered. Also, Spurlock makes this movie really entertaining.

Did you know that the island of Manhattan, approximately 22 square miles, has 83 (EIGHTY-THREE!) McDonald's? That McDonald's serves 46 million people a day worldwide? That McDonald's spent 1.4 BILLION dollars on advertising in 2001?

It really got me thinking about what we put through our bodies. This guy ate 30 pounds of sugar in a month of eating McDonalds. A whole pound a day! After this movie was over, I vowed to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables. (Of course, I had chicken for lunch today...oh yeah, and Cheetos...so much for that.) Or at least, figure out what the heck this pyramid means, and why it is better than the more straightforward one I was introduced to in middle school. In any case, we eat food that is loaded with preservatives and sugar and sodium...overall, food that is getting further and further from the actual natural ingredients. I've never really worried about it, until I read last week that raw meat is often sold with broth added to it to keep it flavorful but lean. So even our "natural" foods have extra sodium and chemicals in them. I really do try to shop the perimeter of the grocery store, because it's where the unprocessed foods are. But now I will be paying even more attention to what I'm buying. And the thing is, I'm pretty against the idea of paying for organic foods, for reasons I won't get into. And furthermore, the crappy foods taste SO good, and they're so cheap! And when it comes down to it, how much do I care, when it's just so much easier to eat badly?

Anyway, if you watch the movie, be sure to watch "The Smoking Fry" in the bonus material (it will blow you away), and be sure to let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

Derek said...

We watched this movie when it came out, and we didn't eat fast food for months. We've "fallen off the wagon" since then, but we've definitely cut back. It was the catalyst for us starting to cook more and eat out less (something we'd wanted to work on anyway).

So why not pay more for organic foods? I don't have an opinion one way or the other, you just made me curious about why you are against it.